Q: How long will a session last?
It depends on the session; most portrait sessions last between one and 2 hours (from my experience most young children don’t last longer than an hour before losing interest). Newborn sessions take about 3 hours and of course, weddings are full or half day affairs
Q: Will you tell me how to pose?
Trust me, I know how awkward it can be in front of the camera (which is why I’m usually behind it!), so the most important thing in my mind during the shoot is getting you comfortable and relaxed. If I can achieve that, then telling you how to pose won’t be necessary. Of course for more ‘formal’ shots I will help with positioning, etc., but for the most part I will only guide you when necessary. I usually try to encourage families and couples to focus on each other, because the natural interactions between you are what make the most beautiful shots.
One quick tip on posing (especially for seniors and couples): Usually, the sillier you feel while posing, the better it will look in camera. Slight exaggeration is best sometimes!
Please see my Photography Inspiration Board on Pinterest for posing ideas and inspiration (sometimes it really helps to see a few images before heading into a session!)
Q: What should I wear to a session?
Of course the most important thing about your wardrobe during a shoot is comfort. If you aren’t comfortable with what you’re wearing, it will show in the photos. That doesn’t mean, however, that clothing isn’t important. In fact, a great outfit can enhance a shoot in many ways. It’s also a chance to try something new, different and fun!
Here are a couple general wardrobe tips (of course these ‘rules’ can be broken from time to time!):
- Bright, plain or patterned clothing is usually best for outdoor shoots. Saturated colours (like jewel tones) really pop against natural backgrounds and are flattering on most people. Plaids, polka dots, narrow stripes are all good options as well. White tends to wash light coloured skin out, especially up near the face.
- It is best to avoid clothing with large logos or cartoon characters on them (especially on children). This will keep the photos timeless and will keep the focus on the face.
- Textured fabrics look great in photos (think dark jeans, cords, knits, etc.)
- Accessories can add a punch of colour or personality to any outfit; think scarves, a chunky necklace, fun earrings, a vest (for cold weather shoots), a skinny belt, tall boots, a cute knitted hat on kids, etc. Of course, you don’t want your accessories to draw attention away from your face, but they really can complete your look.
- Men should avoid having anything in their pockets like cell phones or keys.
- If possible, contact lenses are better than glasses.
- It is not necessary for families to ‘match’; in fact, I recommend against it! You can choose options that ‘go’ together, but there’s so much you can do beyond the ‘white t-shirt and jeans’ look! Complimenting colours or a coordinating element (vests or dark jeans, for example) can be plenty to create a cohesive look. You want your personalities to shine through, so if your children like wearing a certain thing, let them, because you’ll want to remember this stage in their lives later on!
If you have any other questions about what to wear to a session or would like a few ideas emailed to you, please let me know. There are several places to get inspiration, including Pinterest, Google, etc.
My favourites local store for children’s clothing is Joe Fresh (from the Superstore). The clothing is affordable, trendy, and adorable!
Q: Can we take our photos indoors?
I currently do a limited number of lifestyle shoots indoors; this means that I will come into your home and will shoot there, using your natural environment. Due to lighting/space reservations, however, not every session can take place inside. I’m am also doing a limited number of single child/newborn sessions in my home studio (please inquire for details).
Q: How long will it take to see my photos?
A gallery of your photos will be posted within 21 days of the session date (weddings take 8-12 weeks). Prints and product orders will take 2-3 weeks to be delivered.
Q: Where should I print my photos?
If you decide to print your own photos from your USB stick, please keep in mind that most 1-hour labs and/or instant kiosk machines (from a department store or pharmacy, for example), will not result in professional quality prints. With fewer and fewer speciality photography labs in the area it can be hard to find a good place to have prints made; for the time being, I would recommend Costco as the main lab in our area. There are also several online consumer print labs that may result in better images. These include Snapfish, Shutterfly, MyPublisher and MPix.
Q: Do you travel?
I will travel outside of the Sussex area and love the opportunity! Please contact me for travel rates.